The death is announced of Revd Father Frank (Edward Francis) O’Gorman. He died on the 9th February at Mater Christi, Sawtell, where he had been resident and in good but weakening health for some time.
Father Frank was born in Co. Kilkenny in 1927 and after studies for the priesthood at St Kieran’s College was ordained for Lismore in St Mary’s Cathedral, Kilkenny on 3 June 1951 by Dr Collier, Bishop of Ossory.
Together with Father Edward Crowley the two young priests arrived in Lismore on 20th December, 1951.
After service in various parishes as an assistant priest, Father Frank served in that capacity at the Cathedral for ten years, eventually being appointed Administrator from 1971 to 1975.
He then held two lengthy appointments as Parish Priest, in Murwillumbah 1975-1988, and in Macksville 1988-1998.
Over the years Father Frank made regular home visits to Ireland. He quietly retired to Marian Grove in late 1998, where he exercised a continuing pastoral ministry.
Father Frank was generous in other diocesan commitments, as Director of Propagation of the Faith for nine years, and variously as manager of Catholic Life , Diocesan Director of the Legion of Mary, a member of the Diocesan Education Board, as Regional Vicar for the Tweed Deanery, a member of the Council of Priests and College of Consultors, and as Diocesan Chaplain of the Catholic Womens League.
His concelebrated Requiem Mass will be celebrated in St. Augustine’s Church Coffs Harbour on Friday the 17th February at 11am. He will be buried in the Priests’ section of the East Lismore Cemetery.